Angst on a Shoestring

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

 

So This is Christmas..

"so this is Christmas
and what have you done
another year over
a new one just begun"


When I hear John Lennon's Happy Christmas (War is Over) it gets me to take personal inventory. As sappy as it sounds, it does make me think how good I have it. The first time I heard Band-Aid's Do They Know it's Christmas? I actually got my father to take me out to buy it. Talk about a shocker.

As I got older and more jaded, stirring those feelings of wonder became harder for me. But I always made sure to put money in the kettles and give to charities. Now that we have a child, we've been stepping up our commitments to others. This year, we did take a break with my DH on disabilty and my flagging stamina. Usually we're delivering food or packing meals. Buying gifts for Operation Santa.

So here's some ideas if you'll looking to make a difference.

Keep A Child Alive helps deliver ARV (antiretroviral medicines) and treatments to children with HIV/AIDS in Africa.


The Salvation Army has been at the forefront when it comes to comforting those in need.

HungersiteThe Hunger Site along with the other organizations under their umbrella, help by feeding people, teaching literacy and providing health care.



Heifer International is probably the most commonsense approach to helping a community thrive. Besides, where else can you give a gift of bees and be considered a hero?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home