Angst on a Shoestring

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

 

Imagine...

georgejohnGeorge and John's shared taste for the absurd.

As I was thinking of something to write, I noticed that December 1st was the 4th anniversary of George Harrison's death and John Lennon's 25th anniversary of his murder is December 8th. The Boy is very into the Beatles and into their solo works as well. So bearing this in mind, permit me, Gentle BlogReader, to re-post a memory from my other now defunct blog.

Wednesday, December 05, 2001
Our son Alex is a seasoned Beatles fan.
At 3, he knows which one is singing, who plays what instrument,
who is the smart one, the cute one, etc. He likes to come into my office to visit, and his favorite toys are my McFarlane dolls of the Fab Four from The Yellow Submarine.
Who he chooses to play with, brings an assortment of questions:
"Where's Paul, mommy?"
"Oh probably somewhere in England."
"Paul plays guitar mommy?"
"Paul plays bass guitar, yes Alex."
"Where's Ringo? He have rings, mommy...like like the big one they wanted in da movie?"
'Yes honey."
"Where he at?"
"He's probably touring with his band."
"Oh."
"Hey Mommy."
"Yes Alex?'
"Where George at? What he doing? "
"Oh, he's not been feeling so good honey." ( this changed from a bad man hurt him)
"Mommy. (The question I dreaded was coming)
Mommy?"
"Yes Alex?"
"Where John?"
" John's not with us anymore. John's in Heaven, Alex."
"Why?"

So I made the choice to tell him some of the truth..That a very sick man hurt him and John didn't make it.
But we still have his music to enjoy and he's always alive when he think about him or listen to him or watch him in movies and on TV.

Come Friday morning, Alex the frequent midnight visitor to our bed, is huddled between us and the cats.
The alarm goes off and KYW tells us George passed away. I felt a twitch deep inside. Not the same sense of loss when Lennon was killed. More of a feeling of he's not in pain anymore. Alex stirred awake.

"Mommy."
"Yes Alex? You awake now?"
"Mommy, who died mommy?"
"George honey. Remember mommy and daddy said he was very very sick. Well it was his time to go hon."
"He died."
"Yes Ali, he died."
"Bad man didn't hurt him..why he die?"
"Well Alex, sometimes people get very sick, sometimes they get better. But sometimes they don't. It's part of that whole circle of life thing we've talked about, member?"

He nods and props his chin on my chest while I stroked his hair.

"Mommy."
"Yea Alex"
"George go to Heaven."
"Yes, he did honey."
"Hey Mommy."
"hmm?"
"John in Heaven?"
"I would think so, Ali."
"Then he be with his friend! They be together..All day"

With that he slides off the bed and torments my husband in the bathroom.

I quote my friend and officemate Denise here:
John was ripped from us, George floated to the ground.

Denise and I have frequent girl giggle sessions about watching A Hard Days Night as kids and as women. We both were more attracted to John and George than Paul or Ringo. One of my favorite scenes in AHDN is when George is being interviewed by that teen show, hosted by Susan the trendsetter. I loved seeing it when it was at the Ritz on the big screen again. Those big dark eyes flashing on screen.

I always felt George had the ability to laugh at himself more so then the others. Rent The Rutles out to see what I mean.

I've been listening to various Beatles, Rutles, offshoots since Friday.

We can also take a lesson in grace from George. He accepted his fate and though he fought a good fight, he opened his arms to death and a change of worlds. I cried while I read about his Last Supper with Paul and Ringo, how they laughed and recanted stories from their shared history.

Thanks for letting me write this out. The Beatles as a group and as individuals have always been a part of my life. They were my musical point of entry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home