Angst on a Shoestring

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

 

Chutzpah!

Leo Rosten in The Joys of Yiddish defines chutzpah as "gall, brazen nerve, effrontery, incredible 'guts', presumption plus arrogance such as no other word and no other language can do justice to."

Chutzpah could be summoned up in this joke:
"A boy is on trial for murdering his parents, and he begs of the judge leniency because he is an orphan."

That's chutzpah.

Why am I telling you this? What to make you hip to the ways of Yiddish? No, my Gentle Blog Readers, it is to make a plea for you to toss a buck into my "tip jar" as it were. I would like to start painting again and I have to buy everything new. All my stuff dried up, and when you have a bill in your hand, that money goes there. So here's the plan, I start to paint again, thanks to you kind hearts out there. By painting, I can find a new way to move with my disability. I can teach my son how to paint on canvas.

This is known as schmaltz.

In American slang, the word is used for anything that is excessively sentimental, particularly film, theater, poetry or music. In the Montreal Jewish community, it is a slang term for money.

Drop a buck in the box for me, won'tcha?

It's over on the right hand side. Or go here Alms for the Poor Artist

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home