Angst on a Shoestring

Thursday, July 06, 2006

 

Follow My Voice

John Cameron Mitchell with students






Angel touches up her makeup before the talent show







If you've never seen Hedwig and The Angry Inch get thee hence to your video peddler. I found the movie to be a joy. Of course I cried my eyes out.

I saw Follow My Voice Friday night on Sundance. The CD, Wig in A Box was created with the help of over 75 artists. A cd with a cause, namely Hetrick Martin Institute, home of the Harvey Milk High School. From their site:The Hetrick-Martin Institute (HMI) is the oldest and largest non-profit agency created to serve lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning youth between the ages of 12 and 21. HMI offers a wide range of programs including After-School and Supportive Services.

Follow My Voice gives you insight about the creation of the CD. You also see the story, interwoven with the footage of the artists, of 4 students of Harvey Milk,and their struggles and triumphs.

The Breeders
John Cameron Mitchell
Yoko Ono/ Yo La Tengo
The Polyphonic Spree
Spoon
Jonathan Richman
Cyndi Lauper
Stephen Colbert
Sleater-Kinney
Frank Black
Chris Slusarenko
They Might Be Giants
Robyn Hitchcock
Bob Mould
Stephen Trask
The Bens (Ben Lee, Ben Kweller, Ben Folds)
Rufus Wainwright

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home